Service offered by the Student Affairs Learn More
Department Details

Service Summary

Until October 17, 2018, it remains illegal to buy, possess or use cannabis for anything other than authorized medical or research purposes.

The Legislation and Carleton University

Pursuant to the Cannabis Act of Ontario after October 17, 2018:

  • You will need to be 19 and older to buy, use, possess and grow recreational cannabis in Ontario
  • You will be able to have a maximum of 30 grams (about one ounce) of dried cannabis in public at any time
  • You will not be able to consume cannabis on Carleton’s campus as it is considered a public place and a workplace
  • You will not be able to grow cannabis on Carleton’s campus as it is considered a public place and a workplace
  • Online delivery of cannabis is not permitted on campus, as is the case with alcohol
  • Edibles are not available for sale and consumption is not permitted on campus

Carleton is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for medical cannabis consumption on a case-by-case basis while ensuring its commitment to providing a safe and healthy environment for the university community. Please contact the Paul Menton Centre for more information about the accommodation process.

Policy Updates

Additionally, the following policies have been updated, pursuant to the Cannabis Act of Ontario:

Use Cannabis Responsibly

Information on using cannabis responsibly can be found on the Ottawa Public Health website.

Visit service web page exit

Here are some related services to Cannabis

Find the service that best suits your needs.

We're here to help you succeed!

Use our services search to explore our many support services.