Until October 17, 2018, it remains illegal to buy, possess or use cannabis for anything other than authorized medical or research purposes.
The Legislation and Carleton University
Pursuant to the Cannabis Act of Ontario after October 17, 2018:
- You will need to be 19 and older to buy, use, possess and grow recreational cannabis in Ontario
- You will be able to have a maximum of 30 grams (about one ounce) of dried cannabis in public at any time
- You will not be able to consume cannabis on Carleton’s campus as it is considered a public place and a workplace
- You will not be able to grow cannabis on Carleton’s campus as it is considered a public place and a workplace
- Online delivery of cannabis is not permitted on campus, as is the case with alcohol
- Edibles are not available for sale and consumption is not permitted on campus
Carleton is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for medical cannabis consumption on a case-by-case basis while ensuring its commitment to providing a safe and healthy environment for the university community. Please contact the Paul Menton Centre for more information about the accommodation process.
Additionally, the following policies have been updated, pursuant to the Cannabis Act of Ontario:
- Student Rights and Responsibilities Policy
- Alcohol and Cannabis Use Policy
- Tobacco Smoking and Cannabis Consumption on Campus
Use Cannabis Responsibly
Information on using cannabis responsibly can be found on the Ottawa Public Health website.Visit service web page exit
Here are some related services to Cannabis
Find the service that best suits your needs.
We're here to help you succeed!
Use our services search to explore our many support services.