COVID-19 Student Resources

In order to help students find the support and community resources they need, the Office of Student Affairs has prepared this guide to help you find the resources you are looking for.

For a plain-language Funding Guide to navigate the various programs, please view Benefits Information (PDF, 417 KB).

Please note: all resources listed containing ** are also available to international students.

For more information about supports and services available to students throughout the COVID-19 Pandemic, please visit the Current Students COVID-19 website.

Resource Categories

Federal Programs

Support and resources from the Federal government.

Canada Emergency Response Benefit**

If you have stopped working because of COVID-19, the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) may provide you with temporary income support. The CERB provides $500 a week for up to 16 weeks. Workers who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents – including international students – may be eligible to receive this Benefit if they meet the other eligibility requirements. To verify eligibility, please visit the Canada Emergency Response Benefit page.

Canada Emergency Student Benefit

The Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB) provides financial support to post-secondary students, and recent post-secondary and high school graduates who are unable to find work due to COVID-19. Students may be eligible to apply for the CESB through the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

From May to August 2020, the CESB provides a payment to eligible students of $1,250 for each 4-week period or $2,000 for each 4-week period, if you have dependants or a disability.

For eligibility rules and more information about the CESB application process, please visit the CRA website. The government has also launched a dedicated CESB phone line at 1-833-966-2099.

If you are having trouble applying for the CESB because you have not filed taxes before or there is an issue with your CRA account, you will need to connect with the main CRA phone line at 1-800-959-8281.

Canada Student Service Grant

While the COVID-19 pandemic will limit employment opportunities for students, it presents an opportunity for students and youth to mobilize and take part in national service activities that can provide valuable labour market and skills development experiences, while giving back to their local communities.

To encourage students to participate in the COVID-19 response, the government will launch a new national service initiative to recognize students’ significant contributions to the COVID-19 efforts, and provide support through a new Canada Student Service Grant which will provide up to $5,000 to support student’s post-secondary education costs in the fall.

More details will be made available on the I Want to Help platform over the coming weeks, including more detailed information about eligibility, the levels of funding available under the grant, how to apply for a national service position, and how applications will be assessed.

We anticipate more details will be made available on the Support for Students and Recent Graduates Impacted by COVID-19 website.

Increasing Child Care Benefit (for parents)

You do not need to apply for this benefit. If you are eligible, it will be issued to you automatically. For more information, please visit Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan page.

Special Goods and Services Tax Credit Payment

You do not need to apply for this benefit. If you are eligible, it will be issued to you automatically. For more information, please visit the GST/HST credit – Eligibility page.

Student Grants and Loans

The Government of Canada offers student grants and loans to full-time and part-time students. Grants and loans help students pay for their post-secondary education. For more information, please visit the Canada Student Grants and Loans page.

International students**

The Government of Canada will remove the restriction that allows international students to work only a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session, provided they are working in an essential service or function, such as health care, critical infrastructure, or the supply of food or other critical goods.

International students and their employers should consult Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada’s Guidance on Essential Services and Functions in Canada during the COVID-19 Outbreak to determine if the work the student is doing would allow them to work more than 20 hours per week during the academic session. This temporary rule change will be in place until August 31, 2020.

More details will be made available on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

Wellness Together Canada

Wellness Together Canada is free and provides tools and resources to help get Canadians back on track. These include modules for addressing low mood, worry, substance use, social isolation and relationship issues. For more information, please visit the Mental Health and Substance Use support page.

Provincial Programs

Support and resources from the Provincial government.

Ontario Works

Ontario Works and ODSP recipients can access emergency benefits by calling their caseworker. Emergency benefits for COVID-19 related expenses are the same for both programs: up to $100 for single individuals and up to $200 for families.

Rent Payments**

Ontario has put a moratorium on all eviction proceedings. In theory, if someone cannot pay their rent, they cannot be evicted for it. However, we are telling people this with the caveat that this does not prevent further repercussions from their landlord once this is over, such as their landlord sending their unpaid rent to collections, thus affecting their credit rating, etc. Speak with your landlord for accommodations if needed.


The Ontario government has changed the hydro time of use policy to be on the lowest rate at all times, so Ontarians will see a reduction in their hydro bills over the next month.

Additional Information

For a comprehensive list of provincial supports, please visit Benefits Information (PDF, 417 KB).

Carleton Student Emergency Fund

Information about the Carleton Student Emergency Fund

Carleton Student Emergency Fund**

If you are in need of emergency assistance and are not eligible for other government programs, please complete the Student Emergency Fund In-Take Form available to graduate and undergraduate students to receive funding for essential expenses that may have arisen as a result of COVID-19.

Municipal (Ottawa)

Support and resources from the municipal government.

For access to local supports in your area, call 2-1-1 or contact your local municipal office.

Laptop/Technical Assistance

Support and resources for technical support.

Information Technology Services

Carleton students without access to Internet or a computer to complete course work should contact

If you are experiencing technical difficulties with Carleton’s online services, please contact the ITS Service Desk by phone 613-520-3700 or email.

Food Security

Support and resources for food security.

CUSA Food Centre**

Although the CUSA Food Centre is not currently open on campus, should any student require assistance they are asked to email the food centre at who can set up a time for a food hamper pick up.

Ottawa Food Bank**

Students can use the ‘Find Food’ app to identify community food programs that are close to them.

United Muslim Organizations of Ottawa-Gatineau**

This organization has developed a confidential, professionally administered form to support people who are directly affected by COVID-19. Individuals in the following categories are eligible to receive food/hygiene kits: people in isolation because they are sick or have family members that are sick, people in quarantine (within 14 days of travel), immunocompromised individuals, single parent homes and low-income households (case by case).

Good Food Ottawa**

During the pandemic, it can be difficult for residents to get access to food and groceries, especially those living on low income or lost income. Just Food Ottawa—a local non-profit organization—has launched a new website, Good Food Ottawa, that provides information and resources for residents struggling during the pandemic.


Support and resources for sources of funding.

Carleton University - Awards and Financial Aid**

Students may qualify for a bursary based on financial need. For a list of available bursaries, more information and how to apply, please visit the Awards and Financial Aid website.

Health Centres and Harm Reduction

Support and resources for health and harm reduction.

Carleton University – Health & Counselling Services**

Students can still access all services virtually. For more information, please visit the Health and Counselling Services website.

For urgent care (walk-in) please call 613-520-6674. You will be triaged by telephone to determine the safest way to provide you care.

For crisis counselling please call 613-520-6674. You will be triaged by telephone to determine the safest way to provide support.

Carleton University – Mental Health & Wellbeing Resources**

There are resources available for both domestic students and international students.

Safe Substance Use**

Online safe substance use supports are available through the Student Affairs website.

Somerset Community West Health Centre**

A variety of services are available. Clients are advised to call ahead at 613-238-8210 as changes to services may occur. Current services and phone numbers for specific services will be available on the Somerset Community West Health Centre website.

Ottawa-wide services:

Catchment-specific services:

  • Urgent Primary Care (by appointment only), Social Services Walk-In (via telephone)
  • Single session counselling is now available in English and Mandarin. Practical supports are available for the Vietnamese, Chinese and Cambodian communities via telephone.

Sandy Hill Community Health Centre**

The Centre’s operations have shifted to provide only essential services, effective immediately.

Services include medical appointments, same-day medical clinic, consumption and treatment services, Junction (8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.), Opioid Agonist Treatment, Back on Track program.

With the exception of the Junction, Centre-wide hours for all other essential services will be from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

A COVID-19 message is available on the Sandy Hill Community Health Centre website and a services information update (from Monday, March 30, 2020) is available on the Immediate Service Changes page.

Pinecrest-Queensway Community Health Centre**

Pinecrest-Queensway CHC is now closed except for those programs deemed to be essential services. The Richmond Road and Strandherd Drive sites are closed Tuesdays and Thursdays, with only essential services on site Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. All other services are being modified and delivered through alternative means.

Primary Care medical clinic appointments are being provided by telephone.

Employment services will be provided to both job seekers and employers. Services are being offered in a virtual capacity through telephone, email, texting and video conferencing. Job seekers and employers can reach out for service through phone at 613-288-3880 or by email at

A COVID-19 message is available on the Pinecrest-Queensway Community Health Centre website.

Carlington Community Health Centre**

There has been a temporary reduction of hours to 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Entrance to Carlington CHC will be restricted to people with confirmed appointments and to those in need of emergency support with personal crisis, food security or harm reduction equipment.  Please call 613-722-4000 before coming to the Centre.

The office will remain open for counselling, food cupboard access and to provide harm reduction supplies and information.

A COVID-19 message is available on the Carlington Community Health Centre website and current services information (PDF, 590 KB) is also available.

Centretown Community Health Centre**

Centretown Community Health Centre is open to offer some essential services.

Services include: the Primary Care phone lines (613-233-4697), walk-in (call ahead to 613-233-4697), chiropodist appointments (only for urgent issues), counselling appointments (to book, call 613-233-4443, ext. 2109) and harm reduction supplies. Practical assistance and social service walk-ins are closed, but for telephone support please call 613-233-4443 and ask to speak to a Community Support Worker.

A COVID-19 message and services details are available on the Centretown Community Health Centre website.

Additional Information

Please note: all groups have been cancelled at the health centres, except for Back on Track (for individuals with impaired driving records) at Sandy Hill. 

Settlement/Newcomer Services

Support and resources for settlement and new comers.


Settlement and integration services are being provided remotely by settlement workers, and legal advice on immigration matters can be provided by volunteer lawyers a few times a week. Individuals can call 613-725-5671, ext. 316 or email to be connected with an intake worker who will direct them to the services or information needed.

A COVID-19 message is available on the OCISO website.

Catholic Centre for Immigrants Ottawa (CCI Ottawa)**

CCI Ottawa is maintaining a webpage called “Links for Newcomers to Help You Deal with the Impact of COVID-19”, which includes resources related to food, employment, social distancing, government services and more.

Staff are working from home to provide services. Clients can access services by calling the reception desk at 613-232-9634 and the receptionist will direct their call to appropriate staff.

A COVID-19 message is available on the CCI Ottawa website.

Muslim Family Services of Ottawa**

The United Muslim Organizations of Ottawa-Gatineau (UMOOG), supported by Muslim Family Services of Ottawa (MFSO), can provide grocery and prescription pick up, supplies or free professional phone/web counselling for isolated or vulnerable people of any faith, culture or community who are impacted by COVID-19. Individuals are asked to complete a confidential, professionally administered form.

MFSO can be contacted via email at if individuals require support or referrals to services.

A COVID-19 message is available on the MFSO website.

Immigrant Women Services Ottawa**

Students can access crisis counselling by calling 613-729-3145.

Staff are available to support clients remotely through telephone or email. For services, please call 613-729-3145 or email

A COVID-19 message is available on the Immigrant Women Services Ottawa website.

Ottawa Chinese Community Service Centre (OCCSC)**

The office is closed, however, clients can be in touch by telephone, email or an on-line platform from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday. The general email is or individuals can call 613-235-4875.

A COVID-19 message is available on the OCCSC website.

LASI World Skills**

Employment services are being offered remotely using e-mail, telephone and online delivery service. The Career Access for Newcomers (CAN) program does cater to international students who are in need of support for their job search. Students who wish to register with World Skills are asked to write to to schedule a virtual appointment with an employment counsellor.

A COVID-19 message is available on the World Skills website.

Additional Resources

We're here to help you succeed online!

Use our services search to explore our many support services.

AskmeAsk Me


What can we help you find?