On Tuesday, Jan. 28, the province of Ontario noted one confirmed case and one presumptive case of the Wuhan Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in Toronto. The Government of Canada also advised Canadians “to avoid all travel to the province of Hubei, including the cities of Wuhan, Huanggang and Ezhou, due to the imposition of heavy travel restrictions to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus.”
Though it is likely other cases are expected, the Public Health Agency of Canada continues to assess the public health risk associated with 2019-nCoV as low for Canada and Canadian travelers. They will continue to monitor and collaborate with the World Health Organization.
Carleton continues to monitor the situation and advises all community members to follow the health advice as provided by Canadian health agencies. Ottawa Public Health advises everyone to practice the normal precautions to reduce the spread of germs:
- Washing your hands with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer
- Covering your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or your arm, not your hand
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, unless you have just washed your hands
- Stay home if you are sick
- Get your flu shot.
For more information about the Coronavirus:
- Ottawa Public Health
- Government of Canada Public Health Agency: A new coronavirus information line: 1-833-784-4397
- Ontario Government: (Website updated daily at 10:30 a.m.) and 24/7 help by phone at 1-866-797-0000
- U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization
For Travel Guidance/Advice:
- Government of Canada Travel Advice
- International SOS (to sign in, Carleton’s membership log in number is: 27ACAS714670)
More News Posts
Board of Governors Award for Outstanding Community Achievement
Are you a Carleton University student who is creating a substantial contribution through volunteering? Are you graduating this term? Apply for the Board of Governors Award for Outstanding Community Achievement!... More
Life Skills 101 Series
The new Life Skills 101 series will engage, empower and encourage Carleton University students to identify, grow and reflect upon life skill development through a variety of enriching guest speaker... More
We're here to help you succeed!
Use our services search to explore our many support services.