Cannabis will be legal in Canada as of October 17, 2018. In Ontario, the Cannabis Act of Ontario creates a strict legal framework for controlling cannabis.
Until October 17, 2018, it remains illegal to buy, possess or use cannabis for anything other than authorized medical or research purposes.
The Legislation and Carleton University
Pursuant to the Cannabis Act of Ontario after October 17, 2018:
- You will need to be 19 and older to buy, use, possess and grow recreational cannabis in Ontario
- You will be able to have a maximum of 30 grams (about one ounce) of dried cannabis in public at any time
- You will not be able to consume cannabis on Carleton’s campus as it is considered a public place and a workplace
- You will not be able to grow cannabis on Carleton’s campus as it is considered a public place and a workplace
- Online delivery of cannabis is not permitted on campus, as is the case with alcohol
- Edibles are not available for sale and consumption is not permitted on campus
Carleton is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for medical cannabis consumption on a case-by-case basis while ensuring its commitment to providing a safe and healthy environment for the university community. Please contact the Paul Menton Centre for more information about the accommodation process.
Additionally, the following policies have been updated, pursuant to the Cannabis Act of Ontario:
- Student Rights and Responsibilities Policy
- Alcohol and Cannabis Use Policy
- Tobacco Smoking and Cannabis Consumption on Campus
More News Posts
Applying for OSAP for the Summer Term
If you completed a 2018-19 OSAP application and would now like to apply for additional OSAP funding for the upcoming summer term, you do not need to reapply on the... More
Post-Graduate Work Permit Immigration Workshop
If you are an international student preparing to graduate it's important to note that Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has made some recent updates to the Post-Graduate Work Permit... More
We're here to help you succeed!
Use our services search to explore our many support services.