Cannabis will be legal in Canada as of October 17, 2018. In Ontario, the Cannabis Act of Ontario creates a strict legal framework for controlling cannabis.
Until October 17, 2018, it remains illegal to buy, possess or use cannabis for anything other than authorized medical or research purposes.
The Legislation and Carleton University
Pursuant to the Cannabis Act of Ontario after October 17, 2018:
- You will need to be 19 and older to buy, use, possess and grow recreational cannabis in Ontario
- You will be able to have a maximum of 30 grams (about one ounce) of dried cannabis in public at any time
- You will not be able to consume cannabis on Carleton’s campus as it is considered a public place and a workplace
- You will not be able to grow cannabis on Carleton’s campus as it is considered a public place and a workplace
- Online delivery of cannabis is not permitted on campus, as is the case with alcohol
- Edibles are not available for sale and consumption is not permitted on campus
Carleton is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for medical cannabis consumption on a case-by-case basis while ensuring its commitment to providing a safe and healthy environment for the university community. Please contact the Paul Menton Centre for more information about the accommodation process.
Additionally, the following policies have been updated, pursuant to the Cannabis Act of Ontario:
- Student Rights and Responsibilities Policy
- Alcohol and Cannabis Use Policy
- Tobacco Smoking and Cannabis Consumption on Campus
More News Posts
TAO Mobile Now Available
Carleton students now have access to TAO Mobile! TAO Mobile provides free, easy access on your mobile device to a variety of tools to strengthen your mental health and well-being... More
CU Cinema is Back with Shazam!
CU Cinema is back on Tuesday, November 19, 2019, showcasing Shazam! Come out to 2200 Richcraft Hall at 9:00 p.m. for a fun night with some friends. Grab some free... More
We're here to help you succeed!
Use our services search to explore our many support services.