At the June 29, 2017, Board of Governors meeting, Roseann O’Reilly Runte was presented with a gift from the board, along with creation of an endowed fund in her name as a token of appreciation for her leadership and contributions to the university.
On behalf of the university, Board Chair Chris Carruthers and the Board of Governors thanked her for her leadership and contributions, and wished her the best in her new role as president of the Canada Foundation for Innovation.
Effective July 1, 2017 Roseann will begin a well-deserved vacation before she assumes her new responsibilities at the CFI.
Pursuant to the university’s General Bylaw, Jerry Tomberlin, interim provost and vice-chancellor will serve as acting president, vice-chancellor and spokesperson for the university effective July 1, 2017 to July 14, 2017.
Alastair Summerlee will assume the role of interim president and vice-chancellor effective July 15, 2017. Please join me in providing a warm welcome to Alastair upon his arrival on campus in mid-July.
At the June 29, 2017 Board of Governors meeting, the composition of the presidential search committee was finalized. Approval was given to the following community and staff board members on the Advisory Committee on the President’s Selection:
- Bob Wener (community member at large)
- Jay Nordenstrom (community member at large)
- Rosemary Thompson (community member at large)
- Clair Switzer (staff member)
Additional members to serve on the search committee include:
- The Chair – Chris Carruthers (ex officio)
- The Vice-Chair – Nik Nanos (ex officio)
- Three faculty elected by Senate: Adrian Chan, Joshua Greenberg and Elinor Sloan
- One senior administrator, Rafik Goubran, and one dean, Linda Schweitzer, (elected by Vice-Presidents Academic Review Committee)
- One undergrad and grad student elected by Senate: Ahmed Hassan and Matthew Pelletier
The presidential search process continues. The university has issued a request for proposals to engage an executive search firm and the selection of the search firm will be finalized in July. It is expected that the Advisory Committee will meet as soon as possible thereafter.
The board will continue to provide regular updates to the community on developments as they occur.
Dr. Chris Carruthers
Chair, Carleton University Board of Governors